Pages

Sunday 25 May 2008

An A4 card, using a Photopics decoupage sheet

Larger cards are very on trend, here's an A4 card that I made, using a Photopics decoupage sheet. The Photopics sheets are specifically designed with larger cards in mind.

I made the card itself using two sheets of lemon A4 card. I scored along and folded each piece of card about 1cm from the edge to create a spine, decorated the spine on the front of the card with ribbon, then stuck the two pieces of card together along the spine with strong double sided tape. I found that the easiest way to get the two pieces of card correctly positioned was to hold them parallel and upright (landscape) on a flat surface with the edges to be adhered at the top. It's easy then to manoeuvre the sheets together to exactly the right position - in fact a lot easier than it sounds from the description :-)

The decoupage design was matted onto toning paper then mirror card (highly reflective, as you can see!), I also edged the design with straight border peel offs. A birthday greetings banner and a couple of gem stickers completed the card.

When making up the decoupage, I found that there is unfortunately a design flaw with this particular sheet - there are too many elements for the second layer of the design and some of the pieces on the same layer overlap. The sheet can still be made up but some of the pieces needed trimming, and I found it better to omit some altogether.

As a result, this sheet and another Photopics sheet with a similar problem (I checked all the other Photopics designs in stock, and these are the only two affected) have been re-homed to the newly created 'Adored - but slightly flawed!' section of Clearance at Foil Play. The publishers have promised me updated sheets without the design flaws, but I'm not sure when these will arrive (as I'm still waiting also for outstanding items from an order placed in March, it may be some time!).

No comments: